4 questions to ask before choosing a truck at a truck sale
With their sturdy exteriors and no-frills interiors, pickup trucks have been the go-to vehicles for consumers who need to frequently transport cargo for work purposes. Over the years, trucks are slowly becoming more than utility vehicles. A significant number of car buyers are beginning to opt for trucks for everyday commuting and other personal transporting requirements as well. This can be either taking the kids to school, road trips, or off-road adventures. This is mostly because manufacturers of pickup trucks have started incorporating features of conventional cars in trucks. With high-end safety features, sensors, heating and cooling systems, and infotainment systems, driving a pickup is as good as driving a sedan, only with a meaner and sturdy exterior. Here is some information to consider if you are planning to buy a truck at a truck sale.
Which are the different categories of trucks available for sale?
- Light trucks– These trucks are categorized into Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 trucks. The weight limit ranges from 0 pounds to 14000 pounds. Some examples of light trucks include Dodge Dakota (also known as Ram Dakota in its final two years of its production), Tacoma by Toyota, Silverado 1500 by Chevrolet, GMC Sierra 3500, and Ford Ranger.
- Medium trucks– These trucks have the capacity to carry loads ranging from 14000 pounds to 26000 pounds. These trucks are categorized into Class 4, Class 5, and Class 6. Examples of medium trucks include Ram 4500, Peterbilt 352, Chevrolet Kodiak C6500, GMC 4500, Ford F-550, International Durastar, and Peterbilt 330.
- Heavy trucks– Categorized into Class 7 and Class 8, heavy trucks have the capacity to carry payloads of weight ranging from 26000 pounds to more than 33000 pounds. Examples of heavy trucks include Autocar ACMD, Ford F-750, GMC C-7500, Ford F-750, Peterbilt 389, and Kenworth T600.
- Super-heavy trucks– These are also known as special duty trucks and are categorized as Class 9 trucks. These have the capacity to transport payloads of more than 33000 pounds. Often, Class 8 trucks with special duty characteristics are also classified as Class 9 trucks. Some examples of super-heavy trucks include Western Star 6900, Autocar ACX 12×6, and International WorkStar.
What is the latest trend in truck sales of 2018?
- In 2018, the latest trend in truck sales has been the increasing sale of luxury trucks. Customers who earlier used to go for luxury cars, such as Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Jaguar, etc., are veering toward the luxury pickup truck segment.
- With features like large in-dash touchscreen, high-tech infotainment systems, WiFi capabilities, sensors, cameras, plush and spacious interiors, and sturdy exteriors, luxury pickup trucks offer the best of everything for customers looking for comfort, luxury, as well as adventure.
- Along with SUVs and crossovers, the sale of luxury pickup trucks is slowly gaining over upmarket sedans. Automakers like Ford, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler, and Chevrolet are steadily increasing the manufacture of luxury pickup trucks to meet the increasing demand for luxury pickup trucks at truck sales. Priced around $50,000 or more, these pickup trucks are no longer just utilitarian workhorses.
Which luxury pickup trucks are popular in truck sales?
- Ram 1500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Tungsten Edition– One of the most coveted vehicles in luxury truck sales, the Ram 1500 Tungsten has a plush leather-clad cabin and a glimmering infotainment system. It is powered by a 5.7L V8 engine and quite urban exteriors.
- Silverado 1500 High Country 4WD Crew Cab by Chevrolet– This luxury truck is available in two versions—a 5.3L V8 engine and a 6.2L V8 engine. Consumers can either pick a jet black or a saddle brown leather interior.
- Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve 4WD Crew Cab– This luxury truck has been redesigned by Nissan from their full-sized trucks. The Platinum Reserve is one of the plushest luxury trucks available in the market today. It has a 5.6L V8 engine with 390 hp. Some of the notable features of this truck include electronic tailgate lock and a DVD-entertainment system at the back.
- GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4WD Crew Cab– One of the best selling vehicles in luxury truck sales, the GMC Sierra 1500 Denali run on a 5.3L V8 engine. Some models also run on a 6.2L V8 engine. These models have ultra-quiet cabins with active noise cancellation systems.
Which are some of the most affordable vehicles in truck sales?
- 2017 Nissan Frontier King Cab– For consumers looking for a pickup truck that costs below $20,000, a 2017 Nissan Frontier King Cab would be a good option. The truck is priced at around $19,930 and is powered by a 2.5L I-4 engine. The SV trim has a 4.0L V6 engine. However, this trim may cost more than $20,000.
- 2017 Colorado Extended Cab Base 2WD– With a price of approximately $20,000, this is one of the most basic pickup truck that is more of a utility vehicle than a passenger vehicle. The base trim of this truck has no rear seat and can hold only two passengers and some substantial cargo. The WT trim, however, can seat more than four passengers.
- 2017 GMC Canyon SL 2WD– This truck is powered by a 2.5L I-4 engine and has a standard six-speed manual transmission. It is priced at around $22,000. The higher trim of this truck has a 3.6L V6 engine. The cost tends to increase with higher trims.
Tags: truck sale