A buying guide for vacuum cleaners
Dust and germs settle everywhere at home and it is virtually impossible to manually get rid of the dirt. What if there was a machine to make the task easier? Say hello to a vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner is a device that uses an air pump to create a vacuum and then sucks up the dust from the surroundings. This dust is collected in a dirtbag that you may remove later. There are so many types of vacuum cleaners out there that choosing one to buy may be a pretty difficult task indeed.
Here are some frequently asked questions when buying a vacuum cleaner for the first time.
What is the difference between a canister, an upright, and a stick vacuum?
- Upright vacuum cleaners are generally cheaper and have great cleaning power, which is good for heavy carpets. On the downside, upright vacuums are heavy to lug around, especially in a big house.
- Canister vacuums are bulkier with the main body and a long hose pipe. These are easy to use and help reach into the most difficult corners to clean. Canisters are also great for reaching up the stairs. However, due to their huge size, canister vacuum cleaners might be difficult to store.
- Stick vacuum cleaners have tall bodies and eliminate the need to bend over while cleaning. But since they are small in size, they are only suitable for minimal surface cleaning and not for a big area.
Are there any other types of vacuum cleaners to consider?
- Smaller hand-held vacuums are great for cleaning the interiors of a car or a sofa.
- There are also high-tech robotic vacuum cleaners that may function independently at the click of a button.
Does opting for a bag or a bagless vacuum cleaner make a big difference?
- Yes, there is a difference in terms of maintaining the vacuum cleaner. It is easier to clean a bagged vacuum cleaner as the pouch may be neatly removed and the waste easily disposed of.
- Cleaning a bagless vacuum cleaner is a relatively messier affair.
- Do go through vacuum cleaner reviews to see which one might suit your purpose better.
What are the factors to consider before selecting a vacuum cleaner?
- A salesperson might try to advertise a vacuum cleaner that has the highest horsepower or wattage. However, this should not be the only criteria for selecting a piece.
- The functioning of a vacuum cleaner is heavily dependent on the amount of suction it may produce.
- The number of cleaning attachments, such as brushes and crevice tools, that the device comes with also must be considered. The more the attachments, the better the vacuum cleaner.
- A vacuum cleaner with an easy-to-operate interface is always better and less confusing. So, look at the ease of use of the gadget.
Should I try the vacuum cleaner before I buy it?
- Like with any other electrical device, it is always better to try using a vacuum cleaner before deciding to buy it.
- Look for the comfort level while using it and how heavy it feels to carry it around.
- Also, consider your storage space at home. Some vacuum cleaners may be too large and bulky.
- Some vacuum cleaners are very noisy, so checking them at the store helps.
- Finally, checking out a vacuum cleaner before buying it will help clear any doubts about operating it.
How often should vacuum cleaner bags and filters get changed?
- How frequently a bag should get changed depends on the size of the bag.
- It is advisable to check the bag before each vacuuming.
- Some vacuum cleaners have indicators that light up when the bag needs to be changed.
- Different vacuum cleaners have different requirements for when their filters need to get changed. It is best to check the manual or speak to the company representative.
Are there any other points to keep in mind before buying a new vacuum cleaner?
- Do read vacuum cleaner reviews to see what other customers are saying about the pros and cons of a particular product.
- Keep an eye out for sales and discounts. Shopping websites offer great deals for buying vacuum cleaners online.