A guide to different types of razors
Shaving is probably a part of your daily routine, and you’ve probably been shaving since you spotted the first signs of a mustache on your face in your teens. You might not even have put too much thought into the whole process. However, are you aware of all your options or have you stuck to the same choice of razors over the years? This article will inform you about the different types of razors and the best brands in each category.
What are the common types of razors?
- Electric shavers
- Disposable razors
- Cartridge razors
- Safety razors
What type of razors should you choose for a quick and convenient shaving experience?
Try an electric shaver. You can use these automated razors anytime and anywhere. Here are some reasons why it should be your top pick:
- These razors can be used in the bathroom, or on the go.
- Electric shavers are the best choices for frequent travelers as you can pack them easily and take them with you.
- It gives a close shave and offers varying degrees of customization.
- However, one disadvantage is that they are relatively expensive, and you will have to replace the blades and foils every year. However, they last longer than other types of razors.
- If you want to purchase a cleaning station, you will have to pay an additional fee.
- The best brands and models of electric razors are Braun Series 9 9095cc and Philips Norelco 8100 SensoTouch 3D.
Which razors are low on maintenance?
Disposable razors are those ubiquitous plastic razors with a single handle and a fixed blade. There is no maintenance involved with these razors. Here are some things you should know about them:
- The razor handle is attached to the shaving head.
- It can only be used for a few shaves before you have to throw it away.
- They are inexpensive and lightweight.
- However, their low weight means that you have to apply appropriate pressure to get a close shave.
- You get disposable razors in packs of ten to twenty pieces.
- These razors are ideal for travelers too as you don’t need to carry replacement blades or cartridges.
- A major disadvantage is that you have to replace this type of razor in a few days.
- Also, it adds to plastic waste and is not good for the environment
- The best brands of disposable razors are Schick and BIC. You can opt for the Schick Hydro® 5 Disposable Razors or the BIC® Twin Select® Disposable Razor to get the best shaving experience.
What are the features of cartridge razors?
Cartridge razors offer more flexibility for a safer and closer shave. These are the most commonly used razors. They have plastic or metal handles with a flexible joint attached to the cartridge base. Here are some features of cartridge razors:
- They have multiple blades mounted on the cartridge head and are designed for a safe shave.
- These razors are best suited for beginners, and for men who want a quick, clean shave.
- The chances of cuts and nicks are low in these kinds of razors.
- A con of using these razors is that the cartridges need to be replaced frequently. Additionally, these cartridges tend to be expensive and add to the plastic waste.
- Gillette is the best brand for cartridge razors, and their popular models are Gillette Mach3® Razor, Gillette Fusion5™ ProShield™ Men’s Razor.
Which razors give the perfect, smooth shave?
Safety razors were commonly used until a few decades back, and now they are making a comeback. Make sure that you read some online reviews before picking the best brand of safety razors for yourself. Here are some points that you should know about these razors:
- Safety razors have a solid metal handle and head.
- The razor’s head can be opened to place a blade on top. Once you close the head, the blade is held in place. This blade is exposed on both the sides, so you can use either side to shave.
- These razors are not for novices. You need to learn how to handle these shavers.
- They come with textured handles for good grip.
- They have enough weight to provide a close shave without needing any added pressure.
- You can pick adjustable safety razors to control the closeness of the shave.
- They need good maintenance, but they also last longer.
- The cost of replacement blades is minimal, so their long-term cost is very low.
- Once you learn to use them, they give the best shaving experience as compared to any other type of razors.
- Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor and Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor are the best brands and models of safety razors.
What factors should one consider while buying a razor?
- Your choice of razors will depend upon factors like the closeness of shave you need, how frequently you travel, how much time you take to shave, etc.
- It is best to have a combination of different types of razors in your grooming kit, i.e., electric, disposable, cartridge, and if you know how to use it, safety razors. This way, you’ll have access to different razors for different needs.
- Each type of razor has its advantages and disadvantages, so choose the best one according to your needs.
Whichever type of razor you decide to use, make sure that you buy from the best razor brands in the market.