Buying used BMW cars
Buying used BMW cars for sale is a big decision. There are many things you need to keep in mind, quite a few questions you need to ask, do your research, and check your history to guarantee that your car lasts a long time.
What are some points of consideration while buying used BMW cars?
- You need to research on the various second-hand models and types of BMWs available in the market.
- BMW Series 1 is the best small luxury vehicle with a four-seater and a rear wheel drive.
- You can also look for Series 3, which has a small rear wheel drive and an all wheel drive.
- In this, you have the E90 a sedan, E91 a wagon, E92 a coupe, and E93 a convertible.
- If it’s affordable, go for E46 coupe.
- Series 5 is a mid-size sedan and a luxury vehicle. It is also available in all wheel drive. There is also the diesel engine that saves on fuel consumption.
- If it’s a large car, the Series 7 luxury sedan with leather seats and wood trim should be considered. It is for people who like to be driven around.
- There are the BMW X3 small SUV and the X5 a large SUV, which cost more than $5,000.
What about the depreciation value of a car?
- Check the depreciation value of the BMW. They lose value quickly, which is a problem if you want to resell your used BMW car.
- Each year, the car loses a value larger than other luxury vehicles.
- Some BMW cars from Series 1 and X5 do not depreciate as quickly as the others.
- High depreciation cars can be bought at a cheaper rate. The difference between a 3 and a 6-year-old used BMW car will be large.
Is it costly to maintain a BMW car?
- The cost of maintaining a BMW is huge because of the costly repairs and general upkeep.
- They require high-quality gasoline, tires, and oil. The labor costs are also very high due to the way they are engineered.
- The BMW cars manufactured before 1999 can be repaired by any mechanic.
What problems can be encountered with BMW cars?
- The BMW cars have a complex set of electronics, and they have issues regarding fuses, battery and key control system, power windows, power steering, etc. Most of these systems are managed by the iDrive system in the vehicle.
- They have engine issues; since most of them have turbocharged engines; they face stalling, rough rides, and difficulty while it is idle.
- Second generation X 5 replacements can cost $50,000.
- The BMW rattles from inside and outside and indicates a problem.
Do you need to check the history of the car?
- The history report gives you information about the past owner, accidents, liens and warranties, and service.
- This is verified by the law enforcement and is a trusted source of information.
- Check the vehicle identification number, that is, the VIN, which is located on the outside of the windshield, bottom right facing out or inside the driver’s side door.
- You can get the vehicle history free online, but it may not have the lien history.
- Check for red flags in the vehicle history, like tampering with the odometer, or the mileage history not matching the number on the car.
- Any failed emission reports will require that you fix the used BMW car.
- Verify all the repairs done.
- Check for major accidents even if the car looks great. Any major accident may have cracked the frame or caused permanent damage.
- Look for flood damage to the engines. They are hard to find and very expensive to fix.
Do you need to check the car’s warranty?
- Read the warranty terms; the used BMW car may still be under some type of warranty.
- Make sure the warranty covers major issues.
- Try considering an extension of the warranty.
- BMW warranties’ cover is for six years or 100,000 miles.
- It covers the defects, upkeep, and maintenance.
- The handling charges of a warranty are $50 per visit.
- Look whether there is a certified pre-owned warranty for used cars. This way, they are verified that they are in excellent shape.
- Read the fine print, because the warranty may not be transferable to the new owner.
Can you bring a mechanic to inspect the used BMW car?
- You should get a mechanic to inspect the BMW thoroughly before you buy it.
- It is important that a third-party check the car so that an outsider can verify that the car is in good shape.
- Get a mechanic you can trust, a regular mechanic you know in person, preferably, to check the used BMW car.
- Ask them to check for major issues like accidents, major but poor repair works, frame damage, flood damage, and other major issues.