Crucial things you need to know before buying a folding mobility scooter
Folding mobility scooters are the best option for someone who faces physical trouble while moving around. These are a great replacement for wheelchairs, as the user can easily handle the vehicle due to its independent power source. However, picking the right mobility scooter is crucial so that you could make the most of your experience. If you have recently decided to purchase a folding mobility scooter then here are some of the following factors you should focus on.
What are the benefits of folding mobility scooters?
- Portability – The key benefit of a folding mobility scooter is that it is extremely tiny in size, light, and can be easily carried from one place to another. They can also be broken down into different units, enhancing compactness factor.
- Ease of use in indoors – Folding mobility scooters can be effortlessly driven even in the smallest of spaces. It also has the ability to rotate in narrow areas efficiently.
- Comfort – Such travel scooters are designed with controls or handles within reach, swivel chairs, and feet support. This not only allows the user to move around but facilitates comfortable drive.
What are the folding mobility scooters?
There are two main types of folding mobility scooters, i.e., three-wheeled scooters and four-wheeled scooters. The following are some of the key differences between them.
- Three-wheeled scooters – These types of mobility scooters have two wheels placed in the rear and one on the front. The primary advantage of such model is that it is pretty light in weight which improves its portability factor. It also fits well in constricted places. Also since this scooter only has one wheel in the front, it has an excellent pivoting range. Although, in comparison to the four-wheeled mobility scooter, this variant lacks some amount of stability.
- Four-wheeled scooters – These types of scooters have a bigger structure that the three-wheeled models. They have a decent turning radius, but they are more reliable in terms of stability. Also, since its frame is larger, it offers more legroom. They are relatively more on the heavier side, and this makes them suitable for spacious and outdoor spaces rather than tinier ones.
Which are the popular folding mobility scooters of 2017?
- EV Rider Transport Folding Travel Electric Mobility Scooter
- SmartScoot Lithium Battery Lightweight Mobility Scooter
- Pride Go-Go Folding Scooter
- ZooMe Auto-Flex Folding Travel Scooter
- Transformer Electric Folding Mobility Scooter
- Pride Mobility Quest Lightest Folding Mobility Scooter
- Luggie Eco Robust Lightweight Mobility Scooter
- Buzzaround EX 3-Wheel
- Atto Folding Mobility Scooter
- Triaxe Sport Foldable 3-Wheel Scooter
How to buy the best folding mobility scooter?
- Purpose – Decide where you will use your mobility scooter frequently. Do you need it for indoors or outdoors or for both? For instance, if you require a mobility scooter for short distances and smooth surfaces, then a three-wheeled mobility scooter will be a better choice. Similarly, if you need a scooter for outdoor or airport travels, then a four-wheeled mobility scooter would be appropriate.
- Weight – The weight of the folding mobility scooter should be in harmony with your body weight, i.e., it should be able to handle your body weight without tripping or wobbling. At the same time, it should be something that could be lifted or lugged effortlessly as a heavy mobility scooter will defeat the purpose of convenience.
- Speed – This feature entirely depends on your personal preferences. However, if you plan to extensively travel outdoors, then ensure that your scooter has a power-packed battery life.
Apart from specifications, before buying a folding mobility scooter, ensure that you peruse through consumer reviews to narrow down the positives as well as the negatives. You can find these assistance vehicles both online and in the stores.