Effective nasal congestion treatments
People experience nasal congestion from time to time. It can happen because of various reasons; change of weather, allergic reactions, and cold and flu are some of the common reasons for the same. Our body is quite capable of treating such an ailment on its own, but if you need a little nudge in the direction of a speedy recovery, you should look out for congestion treatments. Some of these ways and means have been mentioned for your perusal. However, it is best to consult a doctor before you indulge in any of the remedies. The doctor will help determine the cause of the problem and, thereafter, recommend the method and congestion – treatment for a speedy recovery.
Why does nasal congestion occur?
- Nasal congestion happens when the mucus gets deposited in the chest and throat area due to the possible causes mentioned above.
- The only way of congestion treatment is to get rid of the mucus deposit in these areas.
- Continued congestion can cause breathing problems and result in snoring or other infections that occur when you sleep with your mouth open.
- The problem can usually last for up to four weeks, but if you pay close attention to the reason for the congestion, you can naturally help revive the body without using antibiotics.
What are the home remedies for treating nasal congestion?
- Keeping the body warm with a hot shower will help heal treat the congestion eventually.
- Use a vaporizer for instigating the mucus to melt away with heat.
- Drinking a lot of fluids during congestion will help keep the mucus layer from depositing itself permanently in the throat and chest.
- Use salt water to wash the nasal area with a nasal irrigator. The warm water provides comfort to the irritated areas and salt helps in melting the mucus and forcing it to come out.
- Stay away from caffeine and alcohol during this period.
What are some of the non-prescription drugs that can be used to treat a nasal congestion?
- There are many decongestant medicines available in the market that help in reducing the inflammation of the nasal area. Inhale the sprays and capsules through the nose to reduce the blockage.
- If you think you are suffering from allergies, you can go for medicines such as antihistamines that help in congestion treatment by considerably reducing sneezing.
- These medications also help in treating a runny nose.
- The congestion can cause increased pressure in the nose and ear, causing you to have a headache. You can opt for medicines for congestion – treatment that help in relieving this pain considerably.
What should you eat and drink when you have a nasal congestion?
- It is highly recommended to drink loads of fluids during a nasal congestion. They will help keep the body hydrated.
- Include garlic in your diet. It helps in fighting the cold and allergies.
- Lemon is a great ingredient to be consumed as a congestion – treatment. You can apply the lemon juice with black pepper powder on your nose or ingest it to fight the congestion.
- Ginger is a natural ingredient with anti-inflammatory properties that can help in reducing the allergies in the nasal tract to a large extent.
- Using spices in the food can help clear out the nasal passage, as it will result in a runny nose immediately.
When should you visit a doctor?
- If you feel that the nasal congestion is not reducing even after continued use of congestion remedies.
- If the non-prescription drugs do not seem to have any effect on your condition, you must visit a doctor.
- If you think that the reason for nasal congestion is more than just flu and cold or allergies, you should consult a specialist immediately.
- If you have any issues with breathing, an appointment with the doctor is a must.
- You should consult a doctor if you have a continued headache due to congestion, and it does not let you rest or sleep at night.
If you pay close attention to these issues, you will be able to overcome the problem of nasal congestion in almost 3 to 5 days with congestion – treatment. It is recommended that you visit a doctor in case of any complications. Look for the probable cause before you set to work on the natural remedies for treating the mentioned issues. If you know the exact problem, the solution will come to you naturally.