Which are the best midsize luxury sedans?
Sedans have come a long way from when they were first launched and the time has passed when the person sitting in the back used to fear sitting on the middle-seat hump. Nowadays, midsize cars have also become very spacious with a capacity of comfortably seating at least five passengers. The best midsize sedans are both luxurious as well as fuel efficient and reliable. The latest midsize luxury sedan comes with various useful features like hands-free text messaging in the Nissan Altima and wireless charging in the Hyundai Sonata. These sedans have found the perfect balance between the opulence of luxury cars and the economy of small segment cars. Read on to know the most frequently asked questions and facts about midsize luxury sedans.
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota Camry Hybrid
- Volkswagen Passat
- Ford Fusion Energi
- Subaru Legacy
- Buick Regal
The best midsize sedan for you will depend on which features are most important to you and what are your requirements.
Which are the different car body types available?
The car body type refers to the basic structure of the car along with its design. The names differ from country to country and depend upon factors like design, utility, the technology used and customization. Following are the names of the different types of cars
What is the origin of the sedan?
- The word ‘sedan’ is derived from the Italian word “sedia” which means a chair which is turn is believed to have evolved from the Latin word ‘sedere’ meaning sit.
- The first automobile to use this configuration was Renault Voiturette Type B in 1899.
- Speedwell Sedan was the first closed car in 1911 which used the word sedan. It was capable of seating 4 people and was manufactured by the Speedwell Motor Car Company in Dayton, Ohio.
- Sedans are usually entirely closed.
What is the structure of a midsize sedan?
- It is a passenger car with a three-box configuration structure with A, B and C-pillars and separate compartments allotted for an engine, passenger, and cargo.
- The passenger compartment has two rows of seats and there is adequate space for adult passengers in the rear compartment.
- The luggage compartment is generally at the rear with an exception of some rear-engine models.
- It is one of the most common body styles found in the car.
What are the types of Sedan Car?
- Club Sedans: It is a two or four-door design which is built on a normal chassis; however, with a shorter roof and less interior space. They were available between the mid-1920s to the mid-1950s in high-level U.S models.
- Notchback sedans: When seen from the side, it is a three-box sedan in which the volume of the passenger is clearly distinct from the trunk volume of the car. The roof is in one plane and is normally parallel to the ground. The trunk lid is also parallel to the ground with the rear window at a sharp angle to the roof.
- Hardtop Sedans: Historically, a sedan-door may have a body around the door windows, however, the hardtop doors end at the waistline. There is no center or pillar B for supporting the roof behind the front doors. This body style with no pillars offers a greater visibility.
- Hatchback sedans: In Hatchback sedans the boot is the entire backside of the vehicle rather than a separate compartment. It has a body style, where the cargo area and the passenger area are in one volume.
Why should you buy a midsize luxury sedan?
- Fuel Economy: If you really want to save expenses on the fuel charges, then a midsize sedan is the best choice for you. In recent times numerous sedans provide a hybrid choice as well, but either way, they’re nearly always more efficient than the rest of the body types in the lineup.
- Lower Seating Position: Drivers who have been driving sedans for a longer time may notice that the other body types like SUVs have the driver seat positioned much higher which proves inconvenient for people with shorter heights.
- Ease of Usage: A midsize luxury sedan offers all the latest amenities at the fraction of a prize a large segment car would give them to you at. Not only this, they are easier to drive through busy streets, are a comfortable fit for a midsize family and can easily accommodate an extra bag or two.